My Blog List

Thursday, August 31, 2006

July 7, 2005
Dave Eggers Fair Fan
Jill Brooks, INtake columnist

Web surfing is an occurrence that usually confounds me, because when faced with ephemeral and rare free time, I can’t think, off the top of my head, of anything worth learning in slight.

Incredulous to the phenomenon of free time, I feel hurried and pressured to unravel quality, searchable items (Quick: the French Revolution; no, no, nuclear physics; no, Greek mythology). The exasperated teacher in my head shouts “Time is up: turn your test over now” while the Wicked Witch’s hourglass nears its lowery end.

But the other day with ten minutes burning a hole in my schedule, I Googled the author “Dave Eggers.”

Never cutting-edge, always six months to a year behind best sellers (I was only 70 years late reading The Grapes of Wrath), I recently finished the book A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Mr. Eggers.

This book rushed over me like water cleans a chalkboard full of math problems, a rare gem reconnecting me to life. It acknowledged that it’s OK to care so much about, well, pretty much everything, or sometimes nothing at all.

I read the last two chapters slowly, and after completing the book I set it in my window sill along with the other books that, as a late bloomer, I finally accomplished. But A. H. B. W. O. S. G. has been haunting me for days. I stare at its binding, and the tattered pages (I am hard on books) call for me to stop by once in a while, catch up.

I have actually stooped to self-propelled long-version daydreams where I pick up the book and discover an extra chapter, a long chapter I somehow missed; uncovering said chapter I’m throttled into disproportionate pleasure and hysteria.

I need to get out more, make new friends.

Besides staggering and genius, Dave Eggers is philanthropic. In the back of a pirate-themed retail store in San Francisco (they think the Midwest is strange) is nestled a writing/tutoring program for city youth ages 8-18, called 826 Valencia, which he founded. The program now has locations in several major US cities, some also fronting wacky stores (the one in Brooklyn, New York fronts a super hero supply company; Seattle’s sells items for prospective space travelers).

Indianapolis has several fetching creative writing programs as well: The Writer’s Center of Indianapolis, most notably. Classes are affordable and exhilarating, and one can only hope a rock star supply store may someday ensue. Their website www.indianawriters.org has links to many other great writing programs available throughout the city.

No comments: