My Blog List

Thursday, August 31, 2006

April 14, 2005
A.D.D.

Jill Brooks, INtake columnist

If you suffer from ADD, like I do, your attention span probably emits very low signal strength during spring. Each day, I count the individual buds exploding on their branches. Crocuses applaud the daffodils for finally making it to the party; the winter potholes are patched; I don’t have to warm up my car; and bands are beginning to tour.

Also with spring, comes “runner’s high” for me. No more hot gyms or noisy treadmills: I wish to be among the elements. The other day, fifteen minutes before quitting time, my co-worker found me reading our company newsletter and stretching on the floor of my office. She asked what I was doing; I quipped, “Just getting ready for a run.” I think it showed great efficiency on my part.

When I’m dreaming of running, but lack the time, I’m cranky. If music is involved, however, I’m usually Okay. A college friend, who I hadn’t seen in years, called at the end of my stretch (coincidentally, also the end of my day), asking how spontaneous I was feeling. “Um, well, I need to run…” I strained. “Forget your run,” he said, “I have tickets to see “Better Than Ezra” tonight – meet me there in an hour.”

Twist my arm.

Better Than Ezra played a private concert at Vapour Lounge, and like I always say: If you’ve missed one concert, you’ve missed them all, so I went. Instead of a 4 mile run, I had 3 glasses of wine (yes, of course I took a cab), and got to see Smiley from WZPL sing George Michael’s “Faith.” Baby’s got voice! Camera in hand, I was so enthralled catching up with friends that I completely forgot to have my photo taken with BTE’s cute lead singer after the show. ADD never discriminates.

My head felt steamed and pressed the next morning, so instead of running, I ran errands. Amazingly, I arrived at work on time. I wished my boss a good morning; needling, he responded, “Did you forget this morning’s meeting?” (Insert ‘spring ADD’ excuse here – I sure did.)

The next night, band members of Cracker also sang Camper Van Beethoven songs at the Music Mill: license to celebrate, dance, drink, stay out late, again, and take another $30 cab!

Walking in to work the following day, I offered my boss ye olde “Don’t ask until I’ve had coffee.” I’d exerted my weekly allowance of energy, and it was only Thursday. Always there during crises, ADD took the reins until the weekend.

No comments: