My Blog List

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The First Six Minutes

What is the Jane Austen quote...ah, I used to have it memorized, from Sense & Sensibility. Something like this: You can know someone 6 years and never really know them, yet know someone else 6 days and feel you've known them a lifetime. I waited a long time and found a person I'd known for 6 minutes and knew he was mine. And the best part was it took no convincing from me. I still remember the night at MacNiven's when Matt walked in; within 15 minutes we were staring at each other, but not in the "I think you're cute" way; in the "You are now in my life" way. No life drama can remove that now, ever.

Rain does this to me. Rain, reading, hand holding and Matt's hum whenever I touch him. Let's go to California, let's have more kids, let's stay in Indy, let's... OK. Anything. It took me only 6 minutes to get here.

The baby knows about us now; it's a quick study. Last night it was quiet; I shook my belly a bit saying, "Where are you tonight?" It kicked, it hit, it moved for us. Matt giggles, and I love that.

I interviewed my first daycare today, just in case. It was a bit depressing witnessing infants in a linoleum room, but I smiled a lot. It's so hard to plan the timing of things...maternity leave, back to work, Christmas in Sun Valley or California. We can't commit to anything yet, just Harper or Sam, which ever it may be.

No comments: