My Blog List

Monday, June 11, 2007

The Belmont Stakes

I called it! I knew the filly would pull through. Matt and I are both horse fans and have watched all three races. One always hopes for a Triple Crown, but falling short of that, this race was by far the most exciting because a chick horse won -- something a filly hadn't done at the Belmont in 120 years!

Matt grew up riding, and I rode two thoroughbreds, Star and Thunder, in my youth. My grandfather got into the "horse business" when he retired, and I started betting on his horses (with his money) circa 1983, when he raced them at Riverdowns a lot. He owned mostly gelding thoroughbreds and one filly, Galapiat's Sound (based on a Belgium TV series; why, I know not), and she was a winner. She never raced in the Derby, of course, but held her own against horses who'd been in the Derby.

My grandfather would give us each $50 for the day, and I'd lose every penny (I never chose based on statistics, always on the cutest names).

Perhaps my luck be changin'.

No comments: