My Blog List

Monday, March 22, 2010

Fantastic Day

Yesterday, what a day. I began by running 2 miles then swimming a mile; it was my mom's birthday; I played outside with my 2 sweeties; we put an offer in on a new house, and the health care bill passed the Senate. Avengers of change!

Change is frightening, I guess for some, but I can't see past those 32,000,000 (so many zeros!) people who will now not live in fear of visiting a goddamned doctor. It's time people stopped rocking in their front porch rocking chairs wondering what's on the other side of the hill (or in Indiana, the street). It's called the world: better wake up and join it.

For my single-mother friends raising kids alone; for the people I know who lacked sufficient coverage or had pre-existing conditions; for my friend who died at age 24 from testicular cancer because he couldn't afford health insurance; and for my dad who, by proxy, visited him several times in the hospital, even though he'd never met him, simply because I couldn't bare to see a friend waste away, this day was for you.

And as for the Republican naysayers, you can kiss my grits.

No comments: