My Blog List

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I Think I Love You

My friend Eric has the best job: producing bands, which I like to call "hanging out with bands." Over the years, he’s shared this ability, letting me go backstage and hang with the likes of Peter Gabriel, Lenny Kravitz, John Doe, Squeeze, Crowded House, Sheryl Crow, Camper Van, Wilco, Counting Crows, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Michelle Shocked, Stray Cats (or did I manage that one myself?) … and far too many more to mention. But this summer he got to hang out with David Cassidy and, c’est la vie, I was too pregnant to join in on the fun.

David Cassidy began his career with state fairs, and it looks like he’s ending on the same path. Eric said that someone from “security” had to pick him up at his hotel, and that David was booked under a fake name (not allowed to mention it, but it’s someone famous from Indiana), which he always uses so that his swarm of fans can’t find him. Hehehe.

(An aside: Did you know that the Partridge Family was based on the real-life family, the Cowsills, who also sang the song "Hair" for the Hair soundtrack?)

David waited backstage until Eric told him “you’re on,” and then he played guitar, apparently very badly, for his 1,500 women fans, thanking them repeatedly and telling them, again repeatedly, that he doesn’t “do” encores.

He was contracted to play for 90 minutes, and at 88 minutes he ended the show, walked down from stage and asked Eric what time he had. Eric told him, and David said, “I’ll be back in 2 minutes,” playing another song. Eric, of course, wasn’t going to sue over the infraction, and summed him up as: What a weirdo.

Mitch Daniels’ wife met him and I didn’t. I’m pissed about that.

Digressing to the baby front, I’m so very tired of people asking, “When are you due?” (because I’m obviously ready to pop). Matt said I should start answering, “Oh, around Christmas, but we think the doctor made a mistake, it’s more like early January….”

Matt told me I should shoot for 09/08/07.

No comments: