My Blog List

Sunday, January 07, 2007

No More Contacts!


I had Lasik surgery performed on Friday, and today I have 20/20 vision in one eye, and 20/15 in the other. Matt took off work Friday afternoon and went with me. I was a brave soul about the procedure and only grimaced once when I sensed them cutting my first cornea. Matt watched the procedure and told me later that the instrument looked like a meat slicer. The laser gas smelled like burning flesh, and I was afraid they’d laser out all the blue. Other than that it was just great.

There was a woman waiting to go after me, who completely panicked about the surgery (I actually moved up into her spot in line due to her screams and frantic shivering, the poor thing). Matt watched via a TV screen, which they provided in the lounge/waiting area. Bad idea. A few times during the surgery, he said, “Oh, God – eeeee – ooh! ouch!” When I came out of the operating room he grabbed my hand and whispered, “I don’t think that lady is going through with it because I freaked her out so much.”

The entire process took less than 10 minutes. Matt’s been religiously putting drops in my eyes, and the first night he even washed my face for me (amusing, because he didn’t trust that I wouldn’t accidentally swipe my eye).

Last night we drank a fantastic bottle of Bollinger since we stayed clear of the champagne on New Year’s Eve, and toasted my new eyes.

No comments: