My Blog List

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mazel Tov



Matt and I attended our first Bat Mitzvah over the weekend for the daughter of his boss. I have always been known as Jill, friend of the Jews, but it was my first glimpse into the rite of passage for thirteen-year-old Jewish kids.

The event was beyond extravagant, and Matt and I figured they dropped well over $50k. They made us work for our dinner, though: a 2 hour service in the morning (we didn’t understand a damn thing), tons of prayers, speeches, videos and “the chain” (that stupid dance thing they do at these types of things) before dinner. We were starving.

Thirteen-year-olds have come a long way. When I was thirteen I certainly didn’t own an evening gown. The little girls all looked high school aged, and while I was waiting in line for the bathroom, a young boy walked by and said, “What’s cookin’ good lookin’?” I was absolutely stunned. Matt said, “Honey, you’ve still got it!”

I felt a mixture of flattery and fear.

No comments: