My Blog List

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hip Day!











Gord Sinclair did a radio interview this week with local station WTTS. The DJ said, "We're getting a lot of calls regarding your new album and your upcoming show at the Vogue." Gord replied, "I think I know who's calling..."
The Hip were in town Tuesday so I took the day off (and the following day, too). They were stuck at Conseco Fieldhouse for the day, so I picked up Gord and Rob and took them to the art museum for the afternoon. Rob and I went head-to-head on our art history, and I had to rebuff a couple of his “facts.” We grabbed a late lunch at Wolfgang Puck’s and I gave them the Meridian Street tour, then I returned them to their rock-n-roll setting for sound check.

I attended the concert solo, and I give Matt so many cool points for this. Not many men are confident enough to allow their girlfriend to run off with 5 guys in a band, but I talk about/to them all the time, and Matt knows we’re friends. Besides, poor Matt was working late, but he trusts me completely. He and I keep growing into this amazing perfectness and, silly as it is, we text messaged all night. I’m with the guy every single day, yet I text message with him during a Hip show. Who am I, and what have they done with Jill? I’m taking him to the next show, for sure.

The show? Oh, amazing. The band let me sit in their guitar pit, just off the stage. I parked it right behind the Who’s wealth of guitars. There were already hundreds of people at the show, either there to see the Hip (I heard many scream-outs), or waiting for the Who to take the stage, but I was too shy to look out…I was basically sitting in front of everyone. The Hip only played a 50-minute set, but I sang every word and they all smiled and nodded to me throughout the show. I felt kind of, ya know, spoiled.

Their entourage wasn’t there since, after all, they were in Indy, so I got them all to myself backstage, where we sat, drank beer and talked until the Who finished. I got to be witty and bubbly with no outside interference!

A cute African American woman (I’m socially conditioned never to say “black” anymore, although I’m almost certain this woman had never been to Africa – another blog) was sitting outside of Roger Daltrey’s room, guarding his privacy. I walked by and said, “Cool job!” She admitted that she’d never heard of the Who until THAT DAY, and I said, “Oh, honey, you are sitting outside the room of a very famous person.” She smiled and asked, “Really?” So, so cute.

I am not a Who fan. Gord and I walked across the street to Mo’s, and I caught one song from backstage, the “Whoooooooo are you, who who, who who” song. A conversation ensued:

Gord: You like this song, don’t you?
Jill: Um, I know this song. Not my thing.

We had one beer at Mo’s, and they were off to Rochester, NY. The boys are back in May, and Matt’s in for such a treat....since he likes when I'm witty and bubbly. : )

No comments: