My Blog List

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

This Planet Earth

Today it is raining; I am pensive and solemn. We’ve watched “Planet Earth” on the Discovery Channel for the past two nights, and I haven’t been able to sleep due to worry about polar bears. This is my curse and my blessing of being hypersensitive, especially to animals.

Sure, I have data and answers about greenhouse gases, and a truly honest Republican administration (wait, did you catch the sarcasm there?) that says, “Who…us?”, yet I am flummoxed by how human beings, myself included, can ultimately care so little and do so little for the survival of these magnificent animals.

Bears have always been my favorite animals to watch. I prefer Kodiaks, but today I’m turning it over to the polar bears that are suffering, starving and drowning by the hundreds. Not that I wouldn’t protect you too, little seals, but you are the sustenance of the Arctic’s bellwethers, and there are plenty of you to go around.

I’ve been looking for ways to adopt a polar bear today, to no avail. I did find a website that allowed me to adopt Manfred, the Kodiak from Legends of the Fall, but I want a polar bear for a pet.

Last night, after watching a young polar bear surrender to the precarious ice, I told Matt we should help collect them and put them all in zoos. I know, shudder the thought, but at least they’d be alive. At least I could relieve this guilty conscience.

By the time my children, or maybe their children, are grown there will be no polar bears. Makes me want to ride a bike to work, but I would look silly, and where would I keep my bike all day, and what about rain storms, and what about days I wore skirts and, oh, someone else will take care of it.

No comments: