My Blog List

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Traveling Mercies

I think about writing constantly, but Sam is requiring constant attention-to-detail lately. He's learned to climb up on the bed, couch, dining room chairs and dining room table, and he loves climbing aboard the office chair and typing away on my laptop. He grunts, and sometimes screams, when I say "NO!"

I just took a lovely afternoon nap, as it seems there is nothing else to do when the snow falls full force. It's beautiful outside. Everytime I sleep, I think I hear Sam crying. I think I may do this for the rest of my life. I asked Matt the other night if he thought it was weird that I'd be going away with Sam to college. I might get my Masters then, so Sam and I can study together, drink beer and eat pancakes at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Matt's b-day is Friday, but since he reads this I won't mention the tricks up my sleeve.

We've booked a room at the Conrad the night before our wedding anniversary, and dinner at St. Elmo's (all of it was part of Matt's bonus, so it'll cost us nothing!). Jason, Beth and the boys are coming down to play with Sam for an overnight. That will be a treat. It's only a few weeks away, but today it seems so ... very ... far away.

We're off to Chicago for a weekend in late March, Florida for 5 days in April, then California for Memorial Day weekend. Matt and I are going to try sneaking away, and drive up the coast again to Santa Barbara, the one place I told him I might enjoy settling. : )

Being excited to travel so much always makes me wonder why we still live here, but I've done so much traveling, and it's because I live here. Inexpensive. Easy flights. Plus, there's that Brooks family I love so dearly. But I do love getting out of Dodge. I feel such a connection with things I've never done, and there are all of those people I need to meet, photos I need to compose...

Speaking of Dodge, we picked up my new auto last night - she's a beauty (and not a Dodge). I haven't named her yet, but she's female, for sure. Pearly white. I love her. She's fast, too, and I love driving fast. Yes, even with a baby. I'm sorry, I, uh, love driving fast. Matt and I have this in common. I can take him.

This morning, Matt told me not to take Sam out in this blizzard. Ha. California boy. Glad we bought that 4-wheel drive last night!

Lastly, but importantly, I'm hoping to start editing books part-time for a publisher here in town. Grammar makes me glow; it's a strange phenomenon.

The 4 neighbor kids are outside playing and screaming in the snow. I swear to God, if they wake up Sam...

No comments: