My Blog List

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Aunt Roadie


I had my first banjo lesson this weekend given by…my dad. I played “Go Tell Aunt Roadie” and learned to “pinch” and “roll.” I love it! I went looking to buy my own banjo…but ended up buying new dining room chairs instead. So, I’m a sucker for home furnishings. The banjo will be my Christmas present to myself.

Matt and I went to see a bluegrass band Saturday night; the banjo player let me sit in his seat and hold his “sweet bluegrass edition.” I begged him not to make me embarrass myself by playing Aunt Roadie in front of the audience. I tipped him $10 and he let me off the hook.

We went to see the Hotel Café tour at the Music Mill Sunday night. Matt went to the Colts game first (snooze) so I went to the venue early to hang with my L.A. friends Tim Jones, Jim Bianco & Brad Gordon (current owner of my childhood clarinet). The tour is going strong and features many L.A. bands, such as Cary Brothers (Garden State soundtrack, and it’s not “The Cary Brothers.” His name is Cary), the Weepies (I renamed them Simon & Girlfunkel), Josh Radin, Matt Costa, etc. Everyone was very cool and gave me the VIP treatment of FREE BEER. The show was superb, ending with Bianco’s “Goodness Gracious,” which made all the girls swoon.

Matt and I were both hung over all day Monday. I’m happy, although the sleeveless Indiana nights have well passed.

No comments: